PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT SERVICES
The Diagnostic Center, Southern California offers formal professional development activities to local educational agency (LEA) staff and parents on a range of topics. Our training topics are based upon both statewide and local needs assessment surveys as well as other areas of interest. Each May, our catalog of Professional Development Opportunities (PDF; 2MB; 41pp.) that contains our workshop offerings for the coming school year is sent to all RCCs, SELPA Directors and posted on our website. In an effort to maximize our training resources, we offer training and technical assistance in several formats including, (1) one-day workshops, (2) comprehensive professional development projects, and (3) consultation. After a training topic and date is confirmed the sponsoring agency is responsible for:
- Assigning a contact person responsible for coordinating with the Diagnostic Center presenter.
- Advertising the training. We recommend that the sponsoring agency ensure that parents, general education and other agency staff (i.e., Regional Center, Mental Health) as appropriate, are invited.
- Assigning an administrator or designee to attend the training for greeting/registering participants and introducing the presenter/s.
- Securing a training site to accommodate the size of the audience.
- Providing for audio-visual needs.
- Providing refreshments.
- Duplicating handout packets for all participants (request master copy of handout package from DC presenter, allow a minimum of 2 weeks prior to training date).
- Distributing and collecting evaluation surveys.
- Distributing Certification of Completions at the end of training.
There is no charge for our services. Trainings are available to RCCs, SELPAs, and LEAs on a "first come, first served" basis.